Pet Shop (1994)
Pet Shop is a 1994 science fantasy children's film by Moonbeam Entertainment. The film's plot involves an alien couple that comes to Earth in disguise.
An alien couple comes to Earth disguised as a cowboy and cowgirl and buy a pet shop from its owner in an attempt to kidnap the children for sale. They look like normal people, aside from the fact that they have a third eye on their foreheads that their hats cover. One by one, they give some pets to random kids free of charge. At first, the pets seem normal but suddenly change into their alien forms. The kids meet when they return to the pet shop, because their pets have stopped eating and need some type of "vitamins".
Why It Sucks
- It's a rip-off of and doesn't have the same charm as Gremlins.
- The pets' alien forms are downright horrifying and just plain grotesque to look at, even for sci-fi movie standards. They are also awkwardly characterized.
- Very generic protagonists.
- Some content is highly inappropriate for a PG-rated film, like the scene where a fat kid is in the tub and his mother fat shames him by saying "Get your butt out of there!".
- Terrible editing and special effects.
- The plot is dull.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- Good acting.
Pet Shop received negative reviews. It currently holds a 4.5/10 on IMDb.