Hellboy: Blood and Iron
Hellboy: Blood and Iron is the second installment in the Hellboy animated film series (the first being Hellboy: Sword of Storms), written by Tad Stones and Mike Mignola. It first aired on March 17, 2007 on Cartoon Network, and aired again on July 19, 2008 to promote the release of Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and was released on DVD by Anchor Bay Entertainment on March 10, 2007. The film's story-line is based in part upon the Hellboy: Wake the Devil story-line from the original comics. The film had a mixed response from fans.
- Horrible animation. First offense, the movements are incredibly stiff and robotic, and second offense is the fact that all of the characters make weird expressions throughout the film (here's a few of them), which became internet memes all because of it.
- The beginning had nothing to do with the film. It's just Hellboy and Abe Sapien fighting a monster in the sewers.
- At one point, Hellboy tells Abe to "go wide" which ended up sounding like "go white."
- Other than that, the dialogue is poorly written. Examples can be such as Hellboy randomly asking "can you say...publicity stunt?" or continuously saying "crap" throughout the entire battle at the beginning.
- The character designs are mediocre to stare at (save for Hellboy and Abe Sapien).
- False advertising: The original DVD cover depicts Hellboy fighting a werewolf, when that only happens for a few scenes, and even then, it's only mentioned again only once.
- What's really stupid about this is that the werewolf is an old man cursed by some goblins.
- Hellboy and Abe Sapien's character designs are awesome, with Hellboy's becoming memorable.
- The original cast reprise their roles, which is actually interesting.
- The action scenes are awesome, even if some of it is pointless.
- The artstyle is very similar to the original comic books.